12/13/2005

Top Ten Films About ART

Last year, I compiled a list of my 25 favorite foreign language films for Chlotrudis. This year, we're supersizing from one list to five, but with a twist--each list contains our favorite movies about a different artistic medium: art, literature, music, theatre/dance, and movies themselves. I have to submit my top ten films for each category, and while I'm not going to write a clever little paragraph for fifty films, I'll post a picture and at least something about my top choice in each category. So, to kick it off, it's art, man.



1. Ghost World (dir: Terry Zwigoff, 2001)

So biting, hilarious and eventually poignant that it hurts.

Rebecca (Scarlett Johannson): This is so bad it's almost good.
Enid (Thora Birch): This is so bad it's gone past good and back to bad again.

2. An American In Paris (Vincente Minnelli, 1951)
3. Crumb (Zwigoff, 1994)
4. Russian Ark (Aleksandr Sokurov, 2002)
5. Caravaggio (Derek Jarman, 1986)
6. Love is the Devil (John Maybury, 1998)
7. I Shot Andy Warhol (Mary Harron, 1996)
8. How to Draw a Bunny (John W. Walter, 2002)
9. In the Realms of the Unreal (Jessica Yu, 2004)
10. Basquiat (Julian Schnabel, 1996)