2/05/2005

I STARTED SOMETHING I COULDN'T FINISH...

...but will make an earnest attempt to do so over the next two weeks (at least before I turn thirty). Expect an autobiography of sorts with music as a focal point. I don't know why I put this on hold, since I think the first installment, written nearly two years ago, shows promise. Oh yeah, not long after this, I started writing for Splendid... and then came the time-sucking Ten Thousand Words, which itself ended up kind of a musical autobiography, although it lacks the chronology and pretensions of growth this one will (hopefully) have.

In the meantime, some reviews of recent acquisitions, only in fifteen words or less (more detailed assessments possibly to come):

THE WEAKERTHANS Reconstruction Site
Smart, literate, hooky underdog rock from Winnipeg that will never be the next big thing.

DEVENDRA BANHART Nino Rojo
Still can't decide whether this Donovan disciple is compelling or annoying.

ANI DIFRANCO Knucle Down
Collaboration results in discipline rather than compromise. Almost her very own SCARLET'S WALK.

ERASURE Nightbird
As familiar and comforting as a hand-knit afghan. Still uncool, and better for it.

YEAH YEAH YEAHS Fever to Tell
Hype's settled down; minus the showy visuals, I think I could learn to like them.